Saturday, February 14, 2015

Adjourning Expereicne


An adjourning phase I recalled happened in my first teaching job in a private school. Although we are a small team of 6 people including the director, we all have the same goal as for the children and families. We all know our routines and very self-efficient. I remembered I first started, the director asked me to assist the classroom and observe, then ask me to reflect on what I see and share with her. She always very encouraging and even she did not agree with something, she would ask the teachers to explain their beliefs and tell them her suggestions and expectation in a respectful manner. 
 
 
I resigned after 2 years because I want to work in a different population to gain different experience. It was really hard to say good-bye to this high-performing group! The team expectations were clearly established and explained clearly, when we are hired. Everyone know the norms and when there is a conflict, we will talk it out right away and being supportive to each other. It is an honor to be part of this high-performance team. We had a farewell dinner together at my last day of work and they made me a card with their best wishes. Thanks for the technology, we still keep in touch today via facebook.

           “Adjourning” happens when “the project is coming to the end and the team members are moving into different directions” (Abudi, 2010). Adjourning is an important stage of teamwork to celebrate on their hard work whether it is successful or not, working together as a team is always learning experience because the “group” member could be different every time. It also helps to strengthening the team. 


I cannot believe I am almost done with my master’s degree program in Walden University! It is truly a pleasure to meet the instructors and colleagues through online format. I think we could have a celebration party before or after the graduation to celebrate our success and share contact information to keep in touch. 

Reference
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ms. Yee
    I enjoyed reading and looking at the attach pictures on the blog post. It seem like you work with a good team of people. Although you all were few in number, but big it heart as a team for the common goal to provide children with the best education possible. I like the way the director handle things especially when there were a possible misunderstand about an issue or concern. You stated how the director will ask the person presenting during the meeting to elaborate a little more when something is not clear to what the presenter said. I believe this is a great to minimize confusion or disagreement without understanding all the facts. I agree adjourning provides opportunity where colleagues can come together as a team to share experiences, celebrate achievements and goals of become successful educator in the lives of children and their families.

    ReplyDelete