Saturday, November 22, 2014

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions



This week I heard my colleague comment on a child’s behavior that involved microaggressions. During our conversation about work, she expressed that she has an African American boy in her classroom with challenging behavior such as not listening to her, climbing furniture, and hitting other peers. She said “You know Black children are like that, and they don’t listen to adults and very active”. Although she was sharing her feeling with me, her comment made me uncomfortable. Fortunately, she did not share this with the family or in front of the child. I do not like her comment as it contains microinsult assuming stereotype of African American children are active and play rough. I think all children have their moments of not listening, climbing furniture and playing roughly. Her comment maybe unintentional, the way she generalized all African American children as active and rough is not appreciated and contain bias viewpoint. As a teacher, she needs to think of ways to support the child. First she should understand this child’s need by sharing her observation with the family and ask them if that happens at home and how would they handle it.


        The articles this week helped me to reflect on my perception or stereotypes lens on others. I found that sometimes I do assume a child’s behavior or family using stereotypes, but I quickly remind myself that everyone is different and should never generalize a person using stereotypical points of view. n. We could also promote anti-bias curriculum in early childhood education field as a startup to help children learn about difference and continue this kind of education on to middle school. We could also have this kind of reflection lesson in High School or earlier, to teach children to help children reflect on their experience to prevent microaggressions. Microaggressions could be intentional and unintentional, yet all micoagressions made the target feel intimidated and discriminated.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    I agree with you about your colleague. I do not believe that stating this in general or in the work place to another colleague is very professional. It is unfortunate how she interprets African American children in this light. However, it may be because she has only seen incidents where African American children are out of control, despite that being said, its is something that should not have been said, and is certainly judgmental.
    If you don't mind me asking, you did say that you felt uncomfortable when she made this remark, what did you say after this comment was made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,

      Yes, I responded to her with some reflective questions: what makes you feel all African American children are challenging ? What strategies did you use that work/ not work? I told her that it could be just one incident and that her statement is bias and not fair to the group. She said she understand but felt helpless because the child's mom thinks her son is very good. I reminded her that maybe the child is trying to get more attention and climbing furniture sees like the most effective way to get a teacher's attention =) and maybe giving the child more activities to do could help reduce the misbehavior. I also shared some of the strategies I used in my classroom with her.

      Delete
    2. Hi Joyce,
      Great post and excellent reply! As I read your post I had the same question as Elizabeth, and was delighted to see the answer. It sounds like you did an amazing job of helping your colleague to see things from a different perspective. Also, at the end of your post you mentioned that anti-bias education should be implemented at a variety of levels and I totally agree with you. With the many different cultures represented in the United States, it only makes sense to educate our children about the many different ways of being in the world. All children will be working with someone who is different from them, and they would be in a much better position to do that if they were taught how to interact positively with others at an early age.
      Thanks for your great post!

      Delete